Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Calling

I can't exactly recall how or when I answered my 1st phone call.
However, I still remember some "unusual" phone calls which I've been receiving over the years.


*At that time, I had never received any wrong-number calls.

(Caller rang)
Andy: Hello.
Caller: Hello. Can speak to Mr X?
(Andy hang up the phone as there's no Mr X in the family)
(The same caller rang)
Andy: Hello.
Caller: Hello. Can speak to Mr X, please?
(Andy hang up the phone again)

Only after my mum asked why there'd been so many calls, did i tell her that the guy's calling the wrong number. Then she showed me how to "handle" such cases by answering the guy's next and last call attempt.


**I'd say that some of my dad's friends and relatives are quite different when it comes to making phone calls.

(Uncle A rings)
Andy: Hello.
Uncle A: Hello.
(silence)
Andy: Hello?
(ONLY THEN this uncle starts talking)

(Uncle Y rings)
Andy: Hello.
Uncle Y: Hello. Who's speaking?
Andy: Hello?
Uncle Y: Hello?
Andy: Hello?
(basically Andy just waits for Uncle Y to say that he'd like to talk to Daddy though he perfectly knows it)

So, in my case, sometimes I don't use voice recognition to recognise callers. As my siblings and I have been ridiculing those people for their "unique" calling styles since we're kids, we now recognise them from how the phone conversation starts.

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious what exactly did your mum teach you in order to handle weird calls? It wasn't mentioned! As for calling style, admittedly some people are quite unique. Like your uncle Y who called and ask 'who's speaking?'. I mean why would he want to know anyway?? Can't he just say who he is looking for? I think such people are totally lame.

    When i'm in your position, i'd usually would just pick up and start screaming for the recipient (mum, dad, whoever) to come to the phone, without even saying hello to the caller. Ah the beauty of caller IDs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny openings, especially the last two examples. I'm not so sure whether it's because the two uncles have hearing difficulties? No offense meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. honestly, my house always gets weird calls too! especially asking if like my house is the HDB office. They'll usually be:

    caller: excuse me this is the HDB office? i want to . . . .
    me: no no this is not! (as in like seriously, you ask a question and you never give me a chance to answer! what the. . .

    even weirder would be like when my grandma, who is only fluent in Malay, picks up the phone. she'll be like:

    caller: this is HDB? i want to. . . ..
    grandma: hallo? hallo? gua tak tau cakap english
    (i do not know how to speak english)

    the caller would just ramble on as my grandma pass the phone to me to explain his mistake (seriously me grandma dun like abrupt phone closings). people can be so weird at times. esp random callers.

    ReplyDelete